There is no such thing as a normal person. People may have certain standards that they
expect others to follow or be conformed to, but everyone is different, thus
making it impossible to truly have “normal” people. Our family, friends, culture, and experiences
all have a part in shaping who we are, and they influence the way we view the
world. Each person has a unique filter
through which they see things, and this post is designed to give you a little
insight into mine.
First and foremost, I am a Christian theist. This means that I believe God exists and that
he sent his son Jesus to die on a cross so our sins could be forgiven. There is more involved to theism,
though. I looked up theism in the dictionary, and it simply said “the belief in the
existence of a God.” I was extremely
disappointed in that definition, as it basically makes no distinction between theism and deism. Many people are
deists – they believe that God exists but that he is inactive in today’s
world. I believe otherwise. I am convinced that God is still active and
that he not only cares about what is happening, but he makes decisions about
what is and isn’t allowed to happen.
Therefore, you will notice in future posts that I will make plenty of
biblical references. My spiritual
beliefs have more influence on my life than anything else.
The next major part of my filter is sports. I watch many different sports, although I
only follow a few of them closely. A few
years ago, I started a sports blog with some of my friends, mainly because I
wanted an outlet for some of my more detailed opinions. If you are interested, you can access that
blog through this link. Keep in mind
that a group of us post things to that one, so be sure to look for the
“Stickum” tag at the end of posts; those ones are mine, while the others
aren’t. Since that blog is dedicated to
sports, I will do my best to keep the sports references to a minimum here.
While I am on the topic, I suppose I should explain the
“Stickum” nickname. As Andy so adeptly
pointed out in the previous comments section, it is a reference to a scene from
the movie The Replacements. If
you haven’t seen the movie, well… that may actually be a plus. When I was looking for a link to that scene
to post here, I discovered that the use of foul language was much more
prevalent than I had initially realized.
Additionally, the humor in the movie gets a little outrageous at times,
so proceed with caution if you ever decide to see it. Anyway, allow me to set the scene here. In the movie, the players in a professional
football league have gone on strike, but the owners want to keep the league
going, so they go out and find a bunch of replacement players. The team the movie focuses on has quite a
bizarre makeup of replacements. Among
the players is a receiver (played by Orlando Jones) who has great speed, but he
can’t catch anything. After he drops a
pass near the end zone, the coach (Gene Hackman) calls to one of his assistants
and says, “Give me the stickum.”
Although doing so is illegal (and it is pretty obvious that he has it on
his hands), they go through with it, and the receiver makes a touchdown catch
on the next play to help the team win the game.
During the same weekend that I saw the movie, I also was watching an NFL
game where the announcers made a reference to stickum. At that point, I decided that it would make
for a good online pseudonym, so that is how the nickname came to be.
The final major influence I will discuss here is one of my
academic strengths. I was fairly
well-rounded in school, but I particularly enjoyed (and excelled in) math
classes. Numbers always made sense to
me, and I picked up on mathematical concepts quite easily. Being good with numbers enhances my interest
in sports, but it also carries over into other parts of my everyday life. So, if I make references that involve
statistics or some other math-related concepts, don’t be surprised.
Regardless of what ideas I introduce in future posts, I will
always do my best to explain myself and my way of thinking. As I said in my previous post, I want people
to understand what I am thinking and feeling.
Hopefully, this has been a good start.
No comments:
Post a Comment